July 30, 2009

GHB-Pokegama

After Saturday's disappointing day on the water I was looking for a lot better day. I was paired with Mark N one of the newer guys in the club. We were boat two this morning. As I didn't get to prefish Pokegama I had no idea where to go so we just found a weed flat and I started with a buzzbait. We moved up the channel to Jay Gould and I had a blow up on a frog but didn't hook up. Mark got one for the well on a worm on a deep weedline and there was no more to be found. We then went up the channel to the small lake. We were throwing spinnerbaits over the weeds and all we could catch were northerns. We moved further up the lake to a deep shoreline that had rock and wood where I finally got a 2 pounder on a RT jig flippin the wood. But no more takers there either. We worked down the opposite shore throwing spinnerbaits. I got what would be my biggest fish of the day a 2.81 largemouth. So we took off from there and headed to the main lake. At noon I was still really struggling with only 2 fish in the livewell. We fished down a shoreline that had a steep drop with a few inside turns on the weedline. I finally got a 3rd fish in the boat and Mark got his second. We decided to work the area as there was only an hour or so to fish. Mark hooked up with a Rattle Trap and I failed to get the net under it and it came unbuttoned. (sorry Mark) I was using a 3" Chigger Craw on a money jig. I then caught 2 more 15" to fill out my limit and Mark got 2 more to give him 4 as time was running out. On what was our last casts I was stowing everything and getting ready to go. My line jumped and I brought my last fish to the boat. It would help so as I culled Mark finished getting ready to go. At the weigh in. I weighed 9.35 which was good enough for 6th place. Mark ended up with 4 fish for 4.52 pounds. Again congratulations to Ozzy for sacking 14.26 pounds and beautiful 4.04 pound smallmouth for Big Bass. He is just on fire right now. Pokegama looks like an awesome fishery and I wish I had gotten out to prefish. There was just so much good looking water. Full results are here: www.goldenhookbassers.org/index_files/tourny4.htm Our next GHB tournament is on Big Birch lake on August 22nd. I hope to get a few practice days out ther to make up some ground I lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment