July 29, 2009

GHB-Wabana

This past Saturday the Golden Hook Bassers were on Lake Wabana north of Grand Rapids. A few of us traveled up early Friday as most of us had never been on the lake. After driving through the rain and storms on the way up we got to the lake with the sun shining. The prefishing was so-so with alot of small fish caught. I found a few spots that were candidates for starting locations. Saturday is paired with Wayne Pacyga and we were using my boat. We had take off position two. We decided to start in a reed bed right at the take off spot. I dropped the trolling motor and we were off. About half way around I put the first fish in the boat a 13" largemouth followed quickly by another 13" fish. They were both caught on a swim jig. We then moved to sheltered bay as the wind was really blowing and I had broke the rope on the trolling motor. As I fixed that Wayne was working some pads and a deep break to no takers. We worked around the island working wood and reeds. I picked another 14" fish on the swim jig and Wayne finally got a 16" fish in the weeds. I proceeded to hook into a big northern that broke my rod so I was not a happy camper from that point on. We started to work pads with buzz frogs and Rage shad baits. Wayne caught a couple more and I caught 2 more to fill my limit. All my fish were small. I did get to cull one out with another 14" fish caught on a craw tube. Wayne filled out his limit finally around noon. We then ran back to the reeds were we started. Wayne got a really nice smallie and a another nice largemouth. All I could get was fish that wouldn't help. As time was winding down we hit some pad fields by the landing. I missed two really blow ups on a Rage shad and Wayne was able to get another to cull a small fish. In the end I weighed in at 6.39 and Wayne had 10.68 good enough for 2nd place. Congratulations to Ozzy for winning with 10.92 and Big Bass of 3.30. Complete results are here: www.goldenhookbassers.org/index_files/tourney3.htm.
The unstable and windy weather did not help the day. It was hard to fish any offshore structure as the wind usually would blow you right off it. It was time to re rig as tomorrow we would be on Pokegama for day two.

No comments:

Post a Comment